Tuesday 25 September 2012

Uganda: Days 8-9

So here we are, our final days in Uganda and it has been very good how we have rounded up this trip. We started Day 8 with my final Basketball session with Lilly Orphanage! I have had so much fun with these guys and have been very good listeners and hope they will continue to work on what I have taught them as there are some talented players there. We ended the session with a devotional that looked at not being tempted by the devil and following Jesus. It went very well with Churchill playing the person choosing which way to go, Dan as the devil and me as Jesus (big boots to fill). Most important thing was that the children really seem to understand the drama we did. I was also able to hand out bags to the eight people I thought worked the hardest in training, it was very tough but it was good to reward the children that really took on what I coached and hope that will spur them on to continue to train.

We then later went to Luteete in which we linked with one of the churches there and again we had no nets and the children where very young. Despite this still managed to do some dribbling and passing drills with a little help from one of the teachers to translate, teach them young. They all had beaming smiling faces and where very cute. We even had a chance to play some of their games including getting into a particular number of people and I even got to pretend to be a crocodile, happy days, it was part of the game by the way! Onside Soccer also donated a lot of kit to the church and they where very thankful as you would expect. Managed to have a play on the drums in the church building which was a bit of a surprise, kids love a good beat as I could tell by their dancing along, think all Ugandans are born with some sort of rhythm. The church building was very nice though and we are thinking of building a Basketball court but cost will tell if this can happen.

Our final day included a football tournament in the morning, it was very well put together with six teams taking part. The kids where really into it and wanted to win the trophy. Had a chance to share the devotional before the final game and it was the same one as mentioned before in this blog. Again, think we where really able to communicate the message across. The final went down to penalties in the end and it was Arsenal who won (gave them internationally well know club team names), very happy with the trophy and they hope to continue it annually. After the tournament we had our final visit to Lilly, it was sad to say bye to these kids who we had built such great friendships with. Had a couple of photos together with the children which I will put up soon. Had a little game of Basketball with some of them and just said goodbyes and wishing them all the best, with some of them asking if we will come back and I really hope we do. We did leave some Basketballs so they can continue to practice while I'm away. The icing on the cake was some letters written by the children thanking us and wishing us so many blessings. It was so amazing to receive these letters and I will treasure them for the rest of my life, even had one written for my mum, so sweet, sure she will look forward to reading it!

So we leave tomorrow and don't worry I am going to wrap it all up with one more blog, once again was  reading my book Wild at Heart and this popped out which was said by Winston Churchill in regards to World War 2:
I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life has been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial 
We are all destined for something, let us never forget that, lets look our lives and understand what God has made us to be. One more blog to come, thanks for joining me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment